Our Beachfront Home

Our Beachfront Home
For Sale: Click on this photo

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Passover Seder

There was no Ladies Night this week. Instead we were invited (with our spouses) to Robert's Grove for a Passover Seder. It was held at Robert's Grove and our gracious hosts, Risa and Robert Frackman, made sure that a wonderful evening was had by all thirty-nine of us.

Now Bob and I are not religious, but we do have respect for others who hold to their religions. We accepted the invitation, not really knowing what we were getting into. We knew that there were going to be appetizers and lots of wine to drink, so to make sure we didn't drink too much and get silly, we ate dinner before going. We weren't the only ones to do this.

I can't say that we understood all of it, but speaking for myself, it brought back memories of Sunday School when I was a child.

First we went around the table and introduced ourselves. Of course, it was easy as by this time the wine pour had begun.

We learned some of the history of Passover and the Seder. We all took turns reading out loud while drinking wine and eating the food from the Seder Plate. I was going to write about everything that we did and what things meant, but after some consideration, I realized that I am not qualified, nor do I have all the knowledge to do that. I only know that after reading and listening to others read, listening to the singing, I found myself singing songs that I didn't know in another language. How's that for getting into it?

After the ceremony was finished, then we started eating dinner. The first course was Matzah ball soup, followed by Gefilte fish. The main course was potato pancakes, a huge chicken drumstick, broccoli as the vegetable along side a slab of prime rib. Dessert was a yummy cake covered in a fruit sauce. My wine glass was never allowed to get empty.

This was our first Passover Seder and I truly hope it is not our last. Thank you Risa and Robert for allowing us to participate in your ceremony, your kindness and graciousness are who you are. Little Bit, thank you for thinking of us and inviting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment